The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Thursday, June 14, 2012

One-layer Sympathy

It's been a jam-packed week, so to get in any crafty time at all, I've been keeping it simple with 10-minute and one-layer cards. Today I'm adding this one-layer sympathy card to my stash:



I won the Calla Lilies set from Flourishes when it was released earlier this year. Now, calla lilies are far from my favorite flowers. I have always associated them with funerals (for which I think they are fine!) and was mortified when, in the 80s, they became a popular decorating motif. Back then, I was appalled when the high school prom decorating committee adopted the calla lily as the "official prom flower" my junior year! But I do love this stamp set from Flourishes, which is filled with much-needed sentiments of sympathy and this beautiful (and large!) floral image. The image itself is shaded perfectly, so it was easy to do a 10-minute colored pencil coloring job on this card without it looking horrible (although I readily admit it's also not prize-winning!). One note: I learned the hard way that if you plan to use white colored pencil on solid colored cardstock, don't try to blend it with odorless mineral spirits. That takes away all of the white pigment and you're left back where you started!

This card is one last entry for Flourishes' Gimme Ten challenge.

Thanks for swinging by!
Emily

Stamps: Calla Lilies by Flourishes
Paper: Spring Moss CS by Papertrey Ink
Ink: Palette Noir Black
Accessories: scoring board, colored pencils

21 comments:

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

Ooooooh! This is gorgeous, Em! I am partial to calla lilies, as they were part of my wedding bouquet. I love the coloring on the green cardstock, too. :)

Ardyth said...

I had callas for my wedding (probably because I was lucky enough not to have attended very many funerals at that point of my life)! lol! Although I can honestly say I would choose something different now. I love how you reminded me that you can colour on coloured cardstock - this is a beautifully serene card - perfect for sympathy!

Hussena said...

This is such a beautiful card!! i think this is the first time i have seen anyone coloring on colored CS and have to admit it looks just gorgeous!!! what a perfect sympathy card!!

Stacy Morgan said...

Beautiful Emily! The scoring lines down to the flowers is awesome. Great OLC also. Thanks for playing in Flourishes gimme 10 challenge.

Marisa said...

Love how you used the base colour of green and coloured on top. Fabulous image and great CAS card!

Annette Allen said...

wow these Lilies are so pretty...I love how you colored them and so perfect on this pretty green background...Lovely Sympathy card..

Lisa Elton said...

Your green base is such a peaceful background for the pretty lilies Emily. Wonderful card!

Jocelyn Olson said...

Okay, seriously, how do you make these cards in 10 minutes? It would take me that long just to pick out the cardstock. It is gorgeous, Emily! Good tip about the white and the mineral spirits. :)

Jessi Fogan said...

Well, it sucks that you had to learn about the white pencil the hard way, but I'm glad you mentioned it! This is beautiful - and I am finding that coloured card or patterned papers are much more forgiving when it comes to my colouring abilities :) I love the subtle scoring, and I am so with you - calla lilies are a funereal kind of flower. They just *are*!

Pam said...

Such a pretty lily stamp, and a perfect sympathy card. I'm still waiting for my 7 year old Peace Lily plant to bloom!! I find lilies to be a tranquil flower.

~amy~ said...

Love the look of the white on colored cardstock. such a pretty card and yes, I tend to associate those lilies to funerals ;)

Auntie Em said...

Your Calla Lily card is beautiful Emily. They do seem perfect for a sympathy card. I love the soft green background with the pencil colouring and the lines of embossing are the perfect touch. Only 10 minutes to colour this? You really do speed colour! :)
Thank you for sharing! :)

Bonnie said...

This is beautiful, Emily, very serene! Thanks for the tips on using mineral spirits with colored paper.

Benzi said...

Ha....I had a laugh over your post. I think the men working here wondered what I was laughing about. It was the bit about the prom that did it. HA
I LOVE your card...what a great sympathy. Along with Colleen, you two are putting out some dynamite 10 minute cards.

~Tammy~ said...

Oh my this is gorgeous! How lucky to win such a beautiful set!

Unknown said...

this is just stunning! gorgeous coloring, great green CS and i love the scored lines ending at different lengths. beautiful!

Kary said...

Such a Beautiful sympathy card!! I love those lilies!! Beautifully coloured and the score lines are just the perfect touch. Love this card!!

Julie Koerber said...

Emily, this is just stunning! I love the way you colored up these flowers on the colored paper -- too pretty!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous card! I love how you scored above and below the flowers! ;o)

Mary-Anne V said...

Very pretty...love how you coloured the image and made the score lines.

Chipchick said...

I love this card! I think I must CASE it to have on hand. I just used the one I had on hand so it is time to make another. Thanks for sharing the idea!