The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

10-Minute Nurture Yourself

So, I mentioned on Sunday that I was waiting to pick up my daughter from her Girl Scout camping trip. Well, she returned safely and had a great time, but came home with a few hitchhikers. Three to be exact:  deer ticks. You know, the tiny kind that can carry Lyme disease, and we live in--you guessed it--prime Lyme territory. We removed them successfully (with tweezers, the best method according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There are a lot of folklore removal methods out there, but some can actually increase the likelihood of disease transmission {something to do with increased salivation; I know, ewwwwwwwww!}. Our motto: when in doubt, yank it out!). Anyway, I consulted with our pediatrician yesterday, and because we have no way of knowing if the ticks were attached for less than 24 hours, we'll have her tested for Lyme disease in four to six weeks. (Yeah, it takes that long for it to show up in tests!) In the meantime, we'll keep our eyes peeled for that telltale bullseye rash, which apparently presents in only 60% of Lyme disease cases, so testing will be crucial. Our pediatrician mentioned that the practice has been seeing a lot of Lyme disease recently, most likely due to our very mild winter. Darn, and I was kind of liking that! I guess I'd better hope for lots of cold, snow, and ice next year!

Enough of the yucky stuff, let's get on with a card!

Today I am sharing, appropriately enough, a get well card! I realized last week that my supply of such cards has been depleted, so it was time to re-stock. Because I've been so time-crunched, I decided to play along with Flourishes' Gimme Ten challenge again, to make a 10-minute card.

I used three sets from Flourishes to put together this card: Sunflowers, Tiny Flowers and Tags, and From the Garden. I made a super-quick background by scoring a 3.75" x 3.75" piece of cardstock in a grid and stamping a tiny daisy in each square. I already had that handmade spiral fabric flower in my stash, and all that was left to do was quickly stamp and trim a few leaves. Done! I'm linking this up as my final entry in Julie Koerber's Celebrate Five challenge.

I also used some more Bazzill Card Shoppe cardstock to make this card. Today's colors are Peanut Cluster (for the card base), Gumball (for the blue scored panel), and Easter Grass (for the leaves). I am so impressed with how will this cardstock scores: nice crisp lines and no danger of accidentally perforating the paper. And even though this is nice heavyweight cardstock (100 lb.), I had no trouble fussy-cutting those leaves, although I admit I wasn't going for precision here. It is, after all, a 10-minute card!

Well, I already have dinner in the crockpot, and the kids are off to school,  so it's time to get cranking on my freelance work for the day. Thanks so much for stopping by!
Emily

Stamps:  Sunflowers, Tiny Flowers and Tags, and From the Garden by Flourishes
Paper: Peanut Cluster, Gumball, and Easter Grass from the Bazzill Card Shoppe collection; white from Papertrey Ink
Ink: Versafine Spanish Moss, SU Bashful Blue
Accessories: handmade rolled fabric flower, pearl, SU label punch, scoring board, baker's twine from the DeNami Design Spring Twine 3-pack, Corner Chomper
Techniques: scoring, rolled ribbon flower

26 comments:

Auntie Em said...

Hi Emily!
Love your card! I was showing our niece your beautiful cards on the weekend and was explaining how you are not a tool junkie (like me). She was very impressed with your work. :) Hope your little girl is OK and the ticks weren't there too long. The camp leaders should have the kids wear long sleeved windbreakers and windpants when hiking. Less chance of hitch hikers but the kids do get warm but it is safer.
Enjoy your week and don't spend all your time inside working! :)

Benzi said...

Love your card AND your pretty flower, Emily. Ten minute cards are super.
Ooh, that Lyme disease is not good...always have to be careful,careful. I'm hoping for the best for your daughter and thinking she will be fine.

Suzanne said...

Hi Emily, Just so you know, you can save the ticks after you've taken them off and bring them to your doc's office because they will also test the ticks for Lyme at a state lab. There are also other diseases that ticks carry, such as anaplasmosis, and I am not sure about rash, etc. with those, but my dog actually has this. Hugs to your little girl!

Marisa said...

You are becoming the queen of 10 minute cards :) Darling flower and touch of twine. Hoping she is free and clear when tested - darn ticks!!

Annette Allen said...

wow great 10 minute card...looks awesome...

Stacy Morgan said...

First... How scary to find the tick. Hopefully you got them in time and she does not end up with the lime disease. I would keep a close eye on her also. eek...
Second great card. The Large flower is so cool and I like the flower lattice you created. Thanks for playing in Flourishes Gimme 10 Challenge this week.

Sue Lelli said...

LOVE that flower and your scored background! What a PRETTY card!

Pam said...

What a sweet get well card Emily, and love the sentiment. Hope your daughter is OK. Just reading about the ticks makes my head itch!!

Shelly Schmidt said...

I stink at 10 minute cards....It takes me longer than that to decide on cardstock and stamps LOL..... Love your card- the scoring adds a great dimension, and I love the flower and sentiment you used!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Ticks skeeve me out! Hope those three little buggers haven't caused your DD any harm.

Love this sweet 10 minute card! The handmade flower is soooo pretty, really takes the cake.

Julie Koerber said...

How cute and cheerful is this? LOVE the way you added those little daisies with the embossed lines! Way cute! Sorry to hear about your DD. I hate ticks. I just plucked one from my pup the other day and those little guys do NOT want to budge. You're luck you found them when you did! I'll be thinking about you!

Unknown said...

I will keep my fingers crossed that the results come back negative.. That's a bit scary..
I wish I had dinner in the crock pot!!

Your card looks amazing..

Hugs~

yyam said...

Yucks to the ticks!

Beautiful 10 minute card though. Love the little details...the scoring, the leaves and the bow. :)

Mona Pendleton said...

Cute card Emily! Love the blossom!

Jessi Fogan said...

I HATE NATURE!
OK, not everything in nature, but gross things like ticks & mosquitoes...I am always checking Abby over for hitchhikers. I'm so glad that you checked her over when she came home- chances are good that she'll be fine because you did! I hope that your daughter's not panicking about it? And hopefully, neither are you :)
I love the sentiment on your card - and the colours are beautiful! Now give it to yourself to remind yourself to take it easy :)

~amy~ said...

ugh...ticks...bugs...ick

Your card is super fun...love the bloom AND the sentiment and yahooooooo for the crockpot!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

I sure hope that your daughter is okay and that the tests are all negative. Your card is so whimisical, Em! Love it. :)

Bonnie said...

Boy, Emily, you are sure knocking out some gorgeous 10 minute cards! I love the rows of daisies and the scored lines as well as that gorgeous flower!

Mary Marsh said...

This is such a pretty card Emily-love the spiral flower

Mirta Sanchez said...

BOOOOOOO for ticks on little girls! HOORAY for your super cute card! Love the scoring, great texture!

Beate said...

I am sorry to hear about the ticks. I hope and pray that your daughter doesn't get Lyme disease.

Emily, your card looks wonderful!
Hugs and smiles

Unknown said...

This is so pretty! I love the colors :)

Unknown said...

Okay, so first...Hope your daughter had an AWESOME time. I LOVED LOVED LOVED GS when I was a kid. I am a true out doors woman because of the early exposure.

SECOND...both my husband and I had Lyme's disease...I had it diagnosed last year and after he complained about fatigue for over a year, he was finally tested....and positive! Funny thing about me, tho, I NEVER had the bulls eye sign...just felt TIRED...and my doctor suggested the test. He believes that I had it for a VERY LONG TIME... I didn't have much more than fatigue (and so did my husband), but I had a colleague at work that had significant issues.

so it's good that you are watching.

And...lastly, but not LEASTLY...your cards are always so wonderful!

Jackie Rockwell said...

I really enjoy the design of this card! Sooo Pretty!!! :)

Kary said...

Hi Emily! This is an Awesome 10 min card!! LOVE the scoring, the gorgeous flower and the pretty colours. Congrats for winning Julie's challenge too!
Thanks for the kind words you left on my blog. Let's stay in touch, my friend, and I shall be checking all you create and be envious till I get my craft supplies ;) Have a wonderful weekend, Emily!! {hugs}

Unknown said...

Ticks ... YUCK! Sending good vibes your way that your daughter will be perfectly FINE!

Gorgeous card. Love the flower! ;o)