The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I need your help!!

Has it really been five days {already} since I last blogged?? I didn't really mean to let that much time slip by. Oops! But we were definitely kept busy with the extended weekend, which turned out to be both quite fun and productive.

Our family fun this weekend included a movie night with the kids (How to Train Your Dragon), playing lots of Uno {and some Sorry!, too}, an afternoon of Wii games (bowling* and carnival games), an indoor holiday weekend "cookout," lots of ice cream bars and frozen treats, and our town's Memorial Day parade on Monday morning. DD marched in the parade with her Girl Scout troop, and DS marched with his Cub Scout pack. My hubby and I accompanied the Cub Scouts, hauling the 1000 American flags that the boys handed out to spectators along the parade route. I'm happy to report that the weather cooperated for our parade march!!

* Ever since noticing that the Wii Bowling game labels two strikes in a row a "Double" and three strikes in a row a "Turkey," we've been wondering what terms are used for higher numbers of consecutive strikes. Well, it turns out that the Wii game calls four- and five-consecutive strikes rather unimaginatively "fourth strike" and "fifth strike," while six consecutive strikes is called a "six pack." Go ahead and ask me how I know!! Well, it's because yours truly rolled six consecutive strikes in one of our games (with a grand total of nine strikes for that game). So now we know!! Of course, I suppose we could have looked it up on Wikipedia, but this way was much more thrilling. ;)

As for our productivity, we managed to install all of our window air conditioners for the summer season (just in the nick of time!), replaced all of our dimmer switches with standard light switches to make the ceiling receptacles safe for CFL light bulbs (generally not recommended for use with dimmers), and I spent some blissful time playing with paper in preparation for some upcoming DT commitments. It was all good!!!!

OK, so I wasn't pulling your leg with the title of this post. I really do need your help!! So here's the deal: after being two months overdue for my annual haircut, last week I finally took the time to rectify that situation. This time I went a lot shorter than I usually do (in preparation for the hot summer months ahead, I guess, but also because I wanted a little something different). I also got new glasses (OK, that's not a terribly recent occurrence--more like from last November), but now with two "big" changes in my appearance, I figured it was time to update my blog profile photo. With my new 'do fresh from the salon and still looking decent, I had my hubby and kids take a few photos of me. The problem is that they all have pros and cons, and I can't decide which is best. That's where you come in--I need your help to pick one!!

Here are the contenders:
Photo 1



Photo 2



Photo 3



Photo 4


So, which one do you like best? Please leave me a comment letting me know your choice!

By the way, I had worn my old glasses (yeah, go ahead and scroll up to my "old" profile photo to check them out. I'll wait.) for about 7 years, so my kids don't remember seeing me in anything else. When I got my new glasses and asked the kids what they thought of them, my 8YO son told me that I "look meaner" in my new glasses. What?!?! Wasn't expecting that!! I guess he thought that the rimless portion along the bottoms of the lenses made the frames along the top look more like a "unibrow"--the universally understood "angry look" in all the cartoons. I think he's adjusted to them now and realizes that I'm still the same old cuddly mom that I've always been. :)

OK, enough of the chit chat. Please go vote NOW!!!

27 comments:

Benzi said...

Wow! Big weekend you had with family..sounds like fun.I'm up early so I guess I get to vote first. I like the last two pics best and I really like your big smile so it is #4.

Look meaner, huh? That is too funny.

~amy~ said...

gotta love the things kids say, eh?! I love your new look!!!! Hmmm...choices, choices...they are all FAB! How about #3?

Joan V said...

Wow, what a busy weekend you had. Love your glasses. It is a toss up for me between #3 and #4. #3 would be great for publications and #4 would be great for your blog. So, I love them both. I know that probably didn't help you any, but I am sure you will have more input today. Have a happy day.

Jessi Fogan said...

My first instinct would be #3 - I love how your smile seems to be hiding some mischief...probably it is :)
What a lot you got done with the long weekend! It's nice to catch up with all that stuff. Do you like your CFL bulbs? We switched over to them several years ago for most of the house, but it took a long time for me to be satisfied with the light quality in my tornado room (aka craft burrow). It also takes a long time for them to warm up, I notice.
BTW, I hope you got a trophy for that six-pack...you'd think they could have come up with something better than that ;)

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

You're just too cute, Em! All of your photos are great, but I say go for #3 or #4. Those two are my favorites! :)

Glenda J said...

Cute photos! I would pick 3 or 4!
Congrats on all the strikes!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Photo 3, nice not to have the flash in your glasses... :)

Meg said...

I like #4 the best-those glasses look great. Glad the weather cooperated for the parade!

Yoona said...

I like 3 and 4.
I agree with Joan V.

Unknown said...

You are so darn cute.. I just love reading this post. Your remind me of my mom growing up. Always involved with us kids.. It's so nice to hear..
By the way congrats on all those strikes. You Rock!! As for you photo I have to say they all look great but I would love to see that big smile when I come to visit.. So I pick the Last one.. Your are just beaming in it..

Hugs, Linda

Joanne (jojot) said...

the fourth one is a winner in my book.....it is the most 'candid' and I can see a giggle which I love rather than a 'forced smile'.....it gives you life rather than looking like a pose

so IMHO...4 is a go

Marisa said...

LOVED the movie How To Train Your Dragon. Would see it again in a heartbeat. Sounds like you had a fun and productive weekend. LOVE the new hair too!! Lets those curls bounce nicely :) I think I'm voting for #3, but also really like #4 with that wonderful smile of yours. Let us know which one wins :)

BearyNice2U said...

Photo #3 is the winner, it looks more natural. The ones with the big smiles looks like you are trying to hard to smile.

Mona Pendleton said...

Sounds like a great family weekend Emily :) The best kind! Your pics are all lovely! I like Photo #1 but whatever you choose will be perfect :)

Carol Hurlock said...

Hands down #4 for me. It looks like someone was playing with you then and may have said something funny to tickle you. It is more relaxed. You look beautiful in your new glasses and do. Love Ya!!!

Bear Hugs,
Carol :O}

Anita said...

Emily, I love #3. Your hair looks gorgeous and I think your smile looks very natural.

Bonnie said...

What fun to have a make-over! I like all the pictures, but I think #3 is my favorite.

Colleen Dietrich said...

#4! I don't see any glare from the flash of the camera on that one, and your smile looks warmest and friendliest (not that the others don't; uh-oh, I sound like your son about the glasses!). But I think you look really good in red, my friend, and your new hair do is very soft, feminine and beautiful! Good to 'see' you!

Dawn B. said...

You are too cute.. I loved this write up.. I would have to say I like number 3. Cracks me up what your 8YO said you look mean. My son says that to me all the time when I put my hair back in a ponytail. I love your hair. Great pictures. Way to go on the Wii.. We have that game too.

szbacn1 said...

Not sure I qualify to vote as I don't know you except for your blog... I like #2 the best although it looks like I'm in the minority. P.S. You don't look mean!

Amy Kolling said...

Number 3! Love the new glasses and hairdo!

Auntie Em said...

You are excused from not blogging for 5 days seeing as you are a mommy and family time always comes first! Your new glasses are very stylish. I really like photo #3. You look like you somebody just told you something that tickled your funny bone and you are just about to burst into giggles! Which is sort of how I think of you being!
Now, I must go see about DH getting out A/C out before we get warm weather...sadly we haven't needed it yet!
Thanks for sharing! :)

Crafty Math Chick said...

LOL, I think you look beautiful in all four photos Emily - you have such a happy smile, I love it! I do think I like the lighting better in the first two a little better than the lighting in the second two, and both smiles looks really pretty, you can't go wrong either way. :)
~Meredith

Mary Marsh said...

well I like photo #4 emily-your face & eyes are so lit up-I played the wii bowling with my grandsons and guess who also had 6 strikes in a row-I am terrible at video games but this one they cant beat me

Emily Leiphart said...

You look WONDERFUL, Emily! I love the new haircut and the glasses. My choice would be #1!! And you definitely do not look mean or angry!

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

I love the blue added to the brown and black, and I go with #4!

Davi said...

I like #4 the best !!