The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Good Grief!

Yup. We all do it (or at least I think we do). Even with every birthday and other special date listed on our calendars and/or electronic planners, these special days still manage to slip by us. And by "us," I mean "me." I always have the best of intentions to get cards (especially birthday) signed, sealed, addressed, and out the door to the mailbox on time. Lots of times, I'm able to mail cards to arrive just in time. Sometimes, I'm a bit early. But more often than I would like, my cards (even special ones I've made waaaaaaay in advance) are rather tardy in making it into the mailbox. Which makes them even tardier in arriving. It's not that we (I) forget, it's just that time gets away from us (me). I know it's going to happen, so I may as well be prepared:

Inside reads:
"I'm late. I'm sorry. I hope your birthday was happy!"

This card was totally inspired by the Chevron Chic Challenge in the Moxie Fab World. Cath Edvalson challenged us to create a paper-crafted project that incorporates chevron stripes in an innovative way. Well, I must admit that when I hear "chevron," I immediately think of Charlie Brown and his yellow and black striped sweater. I can't help it!

Charlie Brown


And thinking of Charlie Brown leads to his trademark phrase, "Good Grief!" The two had to appear together on this card, but why on earth would a card say "good grief?" Well, to poke fun at the sender being late (again?), of course! And thus, this card was born. :)

Years ago I downloaded an awesome TrueType font called Peanuts which looks just like the handwriting Charles Schulz used to letter the speech bubbles in his Peanuts comic strips. To make my card, I created some chevrons in Microsoft Publisher, added my sentiment in this authentic-looking font, and printed out the yellow panel all ready for mounting on a black card base. No stamps were harmed in the creation of this card!

I'm not sure where I picked up the Peanuts font originally, but I did a quick search and found something comparable HERE for you to check out if you are interested.

I did a little bit of horn-tooting for my daughter over the weekend (see this post), so before I go, I wanted toot my horn for my 8YO son. On Sunday his Cub Scout pack threw its annual Blue and Gold Banquet during which he advanced from Wolf Cub Scout to Bear Cub Scout. We couldn't be more proud!! Not only did he earn his Wolf Badge for his hard work this past year, he also earned a gold arrow point and four silver arrow points for completing 50 electives during the course of the year. Yay!! He was beaming with pride. Now I just need to get the new badges sewn on his uniform shirt so he can proudly wear his new awards for our Memorial Day Parade on Monday. He'll be marching with his pack--while his sister marches with her Girl Scout troop. It will be quite a day. Fingers crossed for no rain!!!

Thanks so much for dropping by to share in my little slice of bliss for this beautiful, warm, and sunny Tuesday!
Emily

Card Recipe:
Font: Peanuts (www.searchfreefonts.com)
Software: Microsoft Publisher
Paper: SU basic black, gold from The Paper Company

24 comments:

Jessi Fogan said...

Way to go, Bear Cub Scout!! My fingers are definitely crossed for no rain :)

Love your card - and Connor was intrigued by it as well, he came all the way across the room to get a better look!

I tagged you with a Versatile Blogger award :) I love visiting you & catching up on your news!


http://onecraftymama-onecraftymama.blogspot.com/2011/05/versatile-blogger-award-holy-ahem.html

Joanne (jojot) said...

I LOVE this bold and fab card...who could be upset when they get a belated card as bold and fab as this

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

This card is genius, Emily! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! :)

Marisa said...

Brilliant card, Emily!!! Love the stripe with the sentiment. Well done :)

Congrats to your son too. Lots for you to be proud of this weekend.

Colleen Dietrich said...

I'll bet this gets noticed at Moxie Fab, Emily. It is pure genius! And way to go, Joel!

Unknown said...

Super card! I LOVE the colors, and enjoyed the story! ;D

Erin said...

WOW this is so simple yet so creative!!!

Anita said...

Emily, this is fabulous! I love the way you designed this card. Congrats to both your son and daughter and I'll keep my fingers crossed for good weather for your parade.

~amy~ said...

You absolutely rocked it with this fun card!!! Sooo very creative and fun!!!

Congrats...your kids are super!!

Sue Lelli said...

Emily, this is so FUNNY! LOVE the Chevron stripe and so glad you included a pic of Charlie because i forgot that's what his shirt looked like!

Benzi said...

Oh, this is so fun and I would love that as a birthday card....so clever and just downright fun.
Congrats to your son...hope both kiddos get to march. Such exciting times with your children. My youngest son made Eagle Scout and we were so proud.

Karin Ã…kesdotter said...

LOVE this!!! So clever and fun!
Hugs from Peppermint Patty!! (-:

Annette Witherspoon ♥ said...

Oh! I had this same idea, but I couldn't find an appropriate sentiment. You nailed it!! I love this!!

Emily Leiphart said...

Emily, I think you're a winner with this one! It's awesome!

Outside Inn said...

Love how you tied this all together, so clever.

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

oops, sorry wrong account, love the card :)

Crafty Math Chick said...

AWESOME EMILY!!! LOVE THIS!! And that font is PERFECT! Bet you win! Hope it doesn't rain...
~Meredith

suzARTe said...

This card is so striking and cool.I love the way you hhave used the chevron design.

Meg said...

Wowzers! This is just fantastic! What a wonderful take on the chevron pattern!

Crossing fingers for no rain!

Sarah said...

So clever and fun!

Wendy said...

Love this card, just makes me smile. Very, very clever.

Marlena M. said...

Cute, cute! Love it. ;)

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Emily! Thanks for linking this up to the Chevron Chic Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

loveatfirstbite said...

OMG, can you PLEASE explain to me how to create a chevron pattern in Publisher?? TIA ;)