The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Monday, February 13, 2012

Squeal!

A few weeks ago, I was very lucky to win the absolutely adorable Party Posse stamp set in a Paper Smooches challenge. {Squeal!} is exactly what I did when I first spotted that too-cute-for-words hamster in this set! It looks just like the little hamster Japanese erasers that my kids adore--my son has a golden one that he named Nibbles and is as cute as can be :).


I couldn't resist using this sweet hamster in a Valentine card for a dear friend. She is a huge animal lover, and her family is currently hosting a cat and several guinea pigs and hamsters. I'm pretty sure she will {squeal!} over this little cutie, too! (In case you can't tell from my photo, there is a heart-shaped window in the front of the card--the hamster is stamped on the card's inside and viewed through the window. The "squeal" sentiments are stamped along the edge of the card inside--the right edge of the card front was cut away so the sentiments show when the card is closed.) The little hearts come from the Paper Smooches Vegtastic set.


I was inspired by the inspiration photo from the current Paper Smooches SPARKS Challenge. I tried to capture the colors with my choice of kraft cardstock and Palette Boudoir Blush ink, the fabric texture in the hamster's face paper-pieced from a "woven" print, and the stitches on the felt heart with my machine stitching around the perimeter of the card as well as around the heart-shaped window.


I'm also playing in the Love is in the Air Challenge at Simon Says Stamp Challenge and the Clean and Simple Paper Piecing Challenge at CAS-ual Fridays--my little hamster was paper-pieced from a stamped woven print and some older patterned paper from the BasicGrey Nook & Pantry collection.

I hope your weekend was a fantastic one! Ours was good, but super busy. Friday night was my son's Cub Scout Pinewood Derby. Not only did he build a car for the race, so did my husband and daughter. Plenty of exciting racing action for this family! They all had very respectable finishes, and my son brought home the second place trophy for his den of third-grade Bear Cub Scouts. The rest of the weekend was spent on a home plumbing project, getting my Valentines ready to go postal, errands, and DT assignments. I did get to catch a movie with a friend Saturday night, which was just what I needed! Luckily, the snow that had been predicted for us completely fizzled, but it sure was cold on Sunday!

I hope there's a little something in your day today that makes you {squeal!} with delight!

Thanks for stopping by!
Emily

29 comments:

Steph Zerbe said...

Very cute card. I love that you stitched around the heart opening. So fun!

Hedgehog Reader said...

That is so adorable! I teach 3rd grade, so those little erasers are very popular amongst my students - they would {squeal!} if they saw your darling valentine card! Love the stitching and paper piecing - very pretty!

~amy~ said...

wow wow wow...this turned out super fun! love that stitching!

Auntie Em said...

That's a great way to get inspriation for your card sentiment. Too cute! Hamsters are so popular now too.
You certainly had a busy weekend! Congrats to your son for the placing second in the race. That is such a fun thing to do as a family.
Hope your week is a little less hectic than your weekend! :)

Pam said...

Such a cute little critter stamp! Perfect design too, love the sentiment along the side!

Michele Gross said...

Oh Emily! This is completely adorable! I love the stitching around the heart :) Thanks for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

Lisa Elton said...

Oh look at that stitching! Fun, fun fun Emily and the sweetest of stamps!!

Marisa said...

This adorable image is making me have flashbacks to the little one I owned in my youth. Love the stitching and yes, they do squeal LOL. Congrats to your son on his second place finish!

Jessi Fogan said...

I love how many elements you pulled from the inspiration photo - I've been mulling it over myself. The safety pin is talking to me O_o
I'm glad the weather fizzled for you! It's gross. A lot of the snow didn't get cleared before the deep freeze, so this morning's walk was a treacherous one. And it's even colder now than it was then!

Tan's Hobbies said...

Oh, your small hamster is so adorable. It is too sweet, I love it so much!! It is such a great card, Emily!! Happy Valentine!

Unknown said...

Even though you had a busy weekend it does sound like fun!! Your card is so cute. Your stitching looks great!!

Hugs, Linda

Linda Beeson said...

That is soooo adorable! How cute is your sewing and your use of that SPARKS challenge.

Heather said...

Hi Emily, I love your card, your design is fabulous - fabulous stitching and such a fun image.

Thanks so much for joining us the the Simon Says Stamp challenge
hugs
xx Heather xx

suzARTe said...

Such a lovekLy card Emily, I am sure your friend will live it. the stitching looks awesome

yyam said...

Awwww....this is soooooo cute! Love the cutie, the awesome stitching and the row of "squeals" ..lol

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

This is super adorable, Em! I love the stitching you did and the sentiment stamped on the side! Fab card. :)

nwilliams6 said...

Happy Valentines Day Emzi! What a fabulously cute Valentine. I love the stitching (I so want a sewing machine!). Cute design in every way. Hugz!!!!!

Benzi said...

Emily, that is one adorable hamster..so cute paper pieced. And, it's is perfect to let the 'squeals' show on this fun card. Love it!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Debbie Carriere said...

Squeal!! I love it! That hamster is too cute and love how you used the cut outs!

~Tammy~ said...

Oh my gosh Emily, this is for sure a squeal card! Love your perfect stitching! You just ooze with cleverness and talent!

Unknown said...

Super CUTE card! Love the stitching, and the squeals going up the side! ;o)

Christine said...

Wow, Emily, this is one of the cutest, most innovative cards I have seen. Love how you stitched around the cut out heart. It looks fabulous!! Love the sentiment on the inside of the card peeking out as well!! You have shown me some awesome techniques! Consider yourself pinned!!
Thank you for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge blog.
xoxo, Christine

Bonnie said...

This is the cutest little guy with his "Wubsy" smile! Another fun card.

Colleen Dietrich said...

SUPER cute! I had hamsters growing up, and even after I moved away from home. I thought they were great pets. THis PS hamster is the sweetest little thing!

Some of my hamsters names were: Annie, Jerry, Alex, Chip, and I might be forgetting someone. :(

Karen B. said...

Emily, this is so cute and sweet! Great stitching. Thanks for joining use at CAS-ual Fridays!

Sue Lelli said...

Oh Emily, this is so DELIGHTFUL! LOVE your hamster and that FAB stitching!

Lisa Arana said...

Kudos on stitching around the heart! I have such a hard time with that, but you rocked it! Such a wonderful card.

Kary said...

Ooo Emily, I LOVE this card!!! Such a cute, cute design and so FUN!! Great job!!

Lisa Petrella said...

Oh my gosh! Your stitching is AMAZING, Emily!!! This is such an ADORABLE card! LOVE that sweet little hamster image!!!! Sounds like you had a busy but fun weekend!!!