The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Snowy Day and a Thank-You Note

Last winter we received over 80 inches of snow, and when we were hit with our first snowstorm of the 2011/2012 winter season in October, I figured we were really in for it this year. I couldn't have been more wrong. So far we've received a total of 10 inches of snow, and that included our freak snowfall in October. Now don't get me wrong--I'm really not complaining. It's been soooooooo nice not having to remove snow this year or worry about the kids managing snow boots and gear at school. There's been no ice to deal with on the steep path they walk to and from school. No mess, smooth travel, no last-minute cancellations . My life has been easy!

But on this last day of February, just when I thought we might make it through the winter without incident, we have a major snowstorm knocking on our door. Forecasters are saying we could get 8 to 12 inches out of it by the time it ends midday tomorrow. It's been snowing for over an hour and a half now, and it's starting to collect on the grass and trees. And I can't help but start feeling a little bit excited. Now, when I typed my first paragraph, I actually wrote "I haven't missed the snow this year," but I had to go back and take it out because really--deep down--I have missed the snow. There's just something about a good, gotta-hunker-down snowstorm that I really love. And so what if it temporarily suspends my easy winter? So what if in a few days it will become gray and dingy? Right now it's beautiful, and I love watching it pile up, just like in Katy and the Big Snow. :)

OK, switching gears now: I have a card to share. I'm constantly adding to (and then depleting!) my stash of musical thank you notes to send to guest musicians at our church. I took advantage of several challenges I've had on my list for this week to quickly put together this one:


The sentiment and fleur de lis come from {ippity}'s Regal Greetings stamp set, and I've ripped into my vintage hymnal for the panels of music. I've modeled my layout after this week's Chick Challenges {with Ippity} sketch, used a clean and simple style for the {ippity} CAS challenge, featured a music theme for the Get Hippity with Ippity Music Challenge, and used circles for the Paper Sundaes Circles Challenge. And it definitely qualifies for the Anything Goes challenge at Simon Says Stamp!

Well, I'm off to enjoy watching the snow fall. I hope you are doing something you love to do in your little corner of the world today!

Thanks for stopping by!
Emily

35 comments:

~amy~ said...

your card is super gorgeous Emily! Good luck with the snow!

Lin said...

Emily, I'm with you......deep down I love the heavy snows, too. Especially when it's wet and it sticks to the branches of trees and outlines everything in lacy white.

Love your card today, too - music and blue - 2 of my favorite things!

Marisa said...

Great card. Love the hymnal sheet you used and the colour combo is great too!

I love a bit of snow now and then as nothing is prettier than watching it fall gently (i.e. not a blizzard LOL!) and love it when nobody has walked in it and the silence it brings. Enjoy watching it for me :)

Pam said...

First, I just love the blue and brown! My fave winter colors together! Second, love your music paper. I've seen you use it before, and just love it's aged look! And third, glad to hear your enjoying the snow! It was 70 here today!!

jengd said...

Gorgeous! I love the music paper on this! And the scalloped border is great- I haven't seen one quite like that before! Hope you don't get walloped too badly with the snow. Enjoy it for me! Thanks for joining us at Get Hippity with Ippity!

Lisa Elton said...

This is lovely Emily, something peaceful about it. Hope you get just the right amount of snow and nothing too overwhelming! We had rain on & off today with a high of 64...craziness!

yyam said...

Really elegant card Emily! :)

Enjoy the snow! :)

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful card.. Enjoy the snow my friend..

Auntie Em said...

Your card is beautiful! I love the simplicity of it and the aged sheet music. I have a whole lot of ideas prancing around in my head now!

Hope the storm wasn't too bad. I know we are in the path for another one today but I don't think it's going to be too bad. Plus 8 and rain for tomorrow should take care of any snowfall we get this afternoon!

Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Jessi Fogan said...

I love this layout, and the awesome edge punch :)
We've had a weird winter too - I think what you're getting now is what we had Tuesday, and we got about that amount of snow. The temperature has fluctuated so much that we've had mud as many times as we've had -20, and it's just strange for it to change that much. I'm with you, though, there really is something calming about having a snow day - pod people included ;)

Colleen Dietrich said...

Lucky you, getting snow! We got....more rain. That's about all we've had this winter: rain. I know I'll be missing the rain come summer, when we usually have a drought. :)

LOVE this card: the layout, the old hymnal pages, the fleur de lis. Just beautiful! And enjoy that bit of snow you got.

Yes, I should be painting. I'm actually heading up there now - really!

~Tammy~ said...

Are you kidding? We have not had snow that is crazy. Well, it snowed once all day, but never hung around for accumulation! Good luck...hope it wasn't too bad!

I love the colors in your card! The layout is just fantastic and I love that super cool border at the bottom.

Benzi said...

That a beautiful card, Emily. I am sure it will be appreciated. It is wonderful you do this for your guest musicians.

SNOW? Enjoy it...sounds like a warm weekend in the house. I am suffering from allergies because the trees are coming out and some have beautiful blooms. Too bad I have to suffer for it.

Anonymous said...

Emily very nice card. I love those colors together, one of my favorite combinations! Thanks for playing with us at Get Hippity with Ippity. Please come and play again soon...
Hugs,
Beth

Carol Hurlock said...

This is just so fabulous and so creative Emily. I love you ability to put things together and make they shine. Simply gorgeous card!

Glenda J said...

I'll just pretend I didn't here you when you mentioned not really missing the snow. LOL... you can keep it!
This is a beautiful card... absolutely lovely.

Tan's Hobbies said...

OH Emily, I love the additional of music paper so much, love the vintage feel. Love the overall layout!!

Marlena M. said...

BEAUTIFUL CARD Emily! I love the vintage music.
I saw your name at Alley Way Stamps...winner girl!

Susan B. said...

This is such a elegant card! I love the music paper you used as well as the border punch...very pretty!

Emily Leiphart said...

Gorgeous card, Emily! I love music notes and the blue in the background really makes those panels pop. I, too, miss the snow! It's fun for the kids to play in, if anything. ;)

Ryann said...

Haha, if I was you, I would be getting a ton of snow tomorrow for talking about the lack of snow today :))

I love your card!! The fleur de lis is so pretty and I love it paired with the vintage music sheets. Very pretty!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Great card, love the musical notes. Winter only briefly visited us here... I'd thought it'd skipped us all together.

Anonymous said...

Emily, I am HUGE fan of your cards-this one is no exceptio! So very pretty. Thanks so much for sharing!

sandi said...

What a beautiful card! Love the colors and design!

Julia said...

Beautiful card! Thanks for joining us at Get Hippity with Ippity. Hugs,
Julia

Lisa Arana said...

Simply gorgeous card Emily. Love the music paper... perfect for your theme.

angie/shuggy said...

this is so awesome!!!

Dana said...

I can honestly say I HATE the snow, but as I've lived the majority of my life in the northeast, I guess it's my own fault! *grin*
Last year we received over 200 inches of snowfall in this tiny area of upstate NY. This year, we've had only about 75...what a shock and a blessing!
Your musical thank you card is gorgeous Emily. Just beautiful.

Unknown said...

LOL! I sorta missed the snow this year also! Love how the scenery looks all covered in white! But this year's weather has sooo crazy that all I want is warm weather to stick around for more than just a day.
Love the musically inspired card! ;o)

Rona said...

Simply GORGEOUS Emily!! So glad you played along with the Ippity Challenge.

Christine said...

Oh how beautiful!! I love that sheet music paper. It looks lovely with the blue paper. Thank you for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge blog.
xoxo, Christine

Bonnie said...

What a great idea and such a perfect thank you card for a musician!

Joanne (jojot) said...

wonderful winter AND fabulous CAS themed card....what a wonderful way to express your thanks

nwilliams6 said...

Sorry I am late on my comments here - I totally love this card - so well done. It has such a peaceful and elegant look. Hugz!!!!

Lisa Petrella said...

GORGEOUS creation and SO PERFECT for a guest musician!!! LOVE your work, my friend!!!! And I LOVE SNOW too!!!!! Hoping we'll have a couple of more GIANT snowstorms in the mountains before this winter is over!!!!