The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Clean and Simple Birthday Wishes

I'm pushing my luck and posting at the last minute to (hopefully) squeak in under the wire again this week for Chick Challenges {with Ippity}. Here's my creation for this week's sketch:



I used two {ippity} sets: Just Wanted to Say and Dots for Sure. That rick-rack I used is my "fantastic find" for the Kraft Outlet Fantastic Finds Challenge. It's truly vintage! I discovered it in my gramma's sewing basket, and it was still in the original cellophane wrapper--complete with its 32-cent price sticker for three yards. Wow!!


It's been a busy day (more on that in a minute), so I kept my design clean and simple--and that means I can play along with the {ippity} Clean and Simple challenge. I was also inspired by this week's Moxie Fab World Tuesday Trigger:

I picked up on the red polka-dotted print, the green rick-rack, the aqua bird, and the natural linen color.

Now, my busy but extremely pleasant day: I took the kids and my daughter's friend to nearby Rockport, MA, a quaint little fishing village on Cape Ann. We wandered the town catching glimpses of the ocean and harbor between weathered cottages, fishing shacks, and artsy shops and restaurants. It's the off-season, so not many of the shops were open, but we hit our favorites--a historic candy store and a pewter shop--and did lots of window shopping. So much to see! The weather was mild, and the normally ubiquitous and quarter-hungry parking meters must be hibernating for the winter. We had lunch at The Red Skiff, a local diner. I ordered the haddock sandwich and was blown away by the huge slab of fresh-off-the-boat deep-fried haddock which, along with a hunk of fresh lettuce and two thick slices of tomato, practically dwarfed the bun it came on. Seriously, that must have been an eight-ounce haddock filet!! Absolutely delicious. Somehow we found room for a few treats we picked up at the candy store for our dessert. But I must admit that none of us had room for anything more than a bit of fruit for supper!

Well, time to wrap this up. I'm exhausted! Thanks for stopping by to check out my little slice of bliss today,
Emily

40 comments:

Jen M said...

Gorgeous! Love the pop of green and those gems!

Marlena M. said...

Sounds like an awesome day, Emily. I'm glad you got to do something fun and belly filling. ;) I love your take of the trigger. CAS, with all the main colors beautifully layered. Love that rick rack!
My trigger card is in progress as I type...LOL...better go actually "touch" my card instead of mentally configuring it. ;)

Marisa said...

Great take on the trigger! Love the ricrac. Glad you had a wonderful day too - lunch sounded delicious!

Lisa Elton said...

Ok now I'm hungry!! Sounds like a good time Emily! LOVE this sweet polka dot creation, great job on all of your challenges.

Gwen said...

Mmmmmm, can't wait for my trip down the ocean in March! Love your take on the Tuesday Trigger!

Ryann said...

Your card is perfect for the Tuesday Trigger and your day sounds amazing. I wish I lived on the east coast and could enjoy trips to quaint little fishing villages. :)

yyam said...

Oh wow! Just love the bright bold colurs! :)

Sounds like such a lovely day! :)

Mary Marsh said...

this is a great cas card Emily-and what a great find in your Grandmas's sewing box-rick rack-sounds like you had a fund day with your daughter and her friend

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Love the idea of raiding your grandma's stash... great card.

cheiron said...

Love the interpretation of the sketch! How fun to use something from your Grandma's stash!

Pam said...

Cute card Emily! Don't you just love the Tuesday Trigger?! Those old notions are fun! I have an old sewing box filled with trims and what not. The prices are my favorite :) Your outing sounds fantastic!! I love a good fish sandwhich!

Crafty Math Chick said...

You know Emily, your projects are always beautiful but I LOVE the way you WRITE! You really have a gift - your imagery... I think you should write a book! LOL! Glad you had such a lovely afternoon with your children.
~Meredith

~amy~ said...

soooooo super sweet emily!

Kary said...

Hi Emily! This is a sweet card!! I love its simplicity and lovely layout. Amazing that it's a great take of both the sketch and the inspiration pic. Well done!
Sounds like you had a marvellous day at Rockport! Some years ago, when I went for my brother's graduation, we stayed at Rockport. I LOVE the place! Brings back memories... ;) Have a great day, Emily. {hugs}

Lisa Arana said...

Sweet little card. Love the large tag background!

Emily Leiphart said...

I love your sweet card, Emily! I love your interpretation of the trigger!

Lisa Petrella said...

Cute card! I LOVE those punched corners, the polka dots and the layout!!! Rockport sounds like a charming town!! I'd love to have one of those haddock sandwiches---YUM!!!!

Auntie Em said...

Cute card! Love the vintage ric-rak and the pretty colours.
I have some old sewing notions and they always make a project a little more special.
Sounds like an awesome day in Rockport. It must be wonderful to live so close to such a beautiful place. :)

Unknown said...

Your card is adorable. Sounds like you had an awesome day!

Hugs, Linda

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

Fabulous job with the sketch and the trigger! :)

Michelle said...

Emily, this is a great response to the trigger! What a gorgeous card! The green ric rac and the blue gems are the perfect touch. :-)

Unknown said...

Sweet CAS card! Sounds like a very busy day that had loads of fun thrown in! Rest up! LOL! ;o)

Benzi said...

Cute card and I love the corners. The rick rack price would be a dream now. Ha

Sounds as if you all had a fun day. Ummm...a great lunch and a candy shop...yep, it was a fine day.

Benzi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Benzi said...

That deleted comment was mine. For some reason, my comment posted twice and I deleted one...my bad.

Tan's Hobbies said...

This card of yours is simply cute, clean and of course LOVELY!!! The rick-rack makes the whole things even greater =)

Glenda J said...

Sounds like a wonderful, blissful day! Fish sounds delish! Love the great - great CAS design.

Colleen Dietrich said...

Sounds like such a nice outing, and such a yummy sandwich!

I like your take on the Tuesday Trigger inspiration pic, especially the truly-vintage rick rack from Grandma!

Have a great weekend, Emily, and I'll talk to you next week, I'm sure.

Debbie Carriere said...

Emily, this is fantastic!! Love the colors and the corners, too! Rockport sounds wonderful!!! We have been having a low key vacation which for me is the best kind - LOL! Have a great weekend!

~Tammy~ said...

What a wonderful day you had! Love the approach to the tirgger and I need to add a little fun to my corners as you have done here!

suzARTe said...

Sounds like you had an awesome day, that little town you visited sounds lovely. this card is really elegant and lovely, great seeing all the different approaches to the trigger

Bonnie said...

What a great card from this inspiration, Emily! I love the corners punched in the roof shape, the polka-dot paper, the rick rack and even the dots below the rick rack! Sounds like a fun day trip.

Lisa Lara said...

Neat card Emily. Love all the fun elements on it like the ric rac.

C said...

Fun on a card..love the bling.

Cheri said...

Beautiful card, Emily! I love how you incorporated the colors from that little ornament!

Unknown said...

What a fun family outing Emily! Love the kraft with those colors and that ric rac is a treasure...how sweet that it was your grammy's! I think we were channeling each other...though I didn't use kraft, my tags go with your card! *smile* Thanks for joining in at Chick Challenges...you are AWESOME!
Jen

Debbie said...

Super cute, Emily ... thanks for sharing your work with us at TKJ :)

Jessi Fogan said...

What a great combination of inspirations! I love it :) I also love how the shape of the card mimics the shape of the tag, and what a find with your gramma's rick-rack! You can't get any more vintage & Fantastic Find-y than that!
It sounds like the trip to Rockport was awesome. I love doing off-season touristy things, even though you do miss out on some stuff. You get a much better look at what IS available, and best? No big stinky crowds.

Rona said...

Great CAS card!! So glad you played along with the Ippity challenge! and what a fun find with your grandma's trim :)

Larissa Heskett said...

WOW!! I LOVE your design what a cute take!! THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS WEEK!! =)