The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Vintage Roses

Can I tell you how much I enjoy coloring with the gamsol magic technique? (That is, coloring with colored pencils and then blending the colors with a paper blending stump dipped in odorless mineral spirits.) I just love the color coverage I can get, and it's so easy to blend custom colors. Here's the card I made today with gamsol magic. Working on it made me so happy!

I made it for the Flourishes Timeless Tuesday Challenge, FTTC76, which was to be inspired by this gorgeous photo: I thought the lovely roses image from Flourishes' A Year in Flowers Set 2 captured that bouquet perfectly. I also used this week's sketch from Card Patterns:
See that pendant die cut under my main image? It isn't really a die cut at all! It's actually a square that I border- and corner-punched using the Martha Stewart Topiary punch-around-the-page set. I just love those PATP sets. Super easy to use, too!

And what put the "vintage" in my card for today? Well, in addition to the old-fashioned roses, I used actual pages torn from a vintage history book that I bought at a second-hand book store for $3 back in the spring, expressly for deconstructing in papercrafting projects. (I bought a vintage hymnal and a vintage dictionary at the same time for the same reasons. Cheap and easy sources of sheet music and definitions to use in layouts!)

I also made my own paper flowers from scalloped circles punched from the vintage page scraps and then sprayed them with Pink Sprinkles Smooch Spritz, a new (50% off!) purchase yesterday. I've never used Smooch Spritz before and am still trying to figure out the best way to use it, especially with flowers. Make the flowers first, and then spritz the finished product? (Which is what I did today.) Or spritz the individual layers first and then make the flowers? Would you let these layers dry before assembling? So, now that I have this marvelous product, I'm wondering how else I can use it. Any ideas or favorite ways to use it? Please leave me a comment!!


Let's see, I guess that's it for today's post. For details on supplies and challenges that went into the making of this card, please click here. Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

Meg said...

Ooooh, I love all your vintage sweetness on this card! Tough sketch (in my opinion), but you totally made it work! Love the PATP "medallion" and your little mini-flowers. I'm definitely going to pick up a vintage dictionary; I like your idea of using it for definitions!

Tenia Nelson said...

This card is all types of gorgeousness, Emily!!!!

Stacy Morgan said...

Beautiful! So soft and wonderful flowers on the corners.

Marisa said...

Wonderfully coloured image, Emily! Loving the flowers too :D Have never tried Gamsol technique. Do you use regular pencil crayons or do you have to use watercolour ones?

Colleen Dietrich said...

Beautiful vintage card, Emily! Don't know much at all about Smooch Spritzes and anything I've read is kind of vague. Can't be of much help there. But whatever you did, it worked just fine!

Anonymous said...

Like the roses! Good job, Mom!
Keep up the good work!