Then on Sunday afternoon, after DD returned from her camping trip, all four of us went apple picking. It's our family tradition to go picking at a local orchard the very first weekend that MacIntosh apples come into season! It was fabulous. We picked 3/4 of a mixed bushel of Macs and Galas. That should last us for a couple of months of lunches (and maybe a few pans of apple crisp, too.) Yum!
I stole an hour (OK, probably a bit more than that) this morning to make a sympathy card I've needed for over a week now. It was lovely to be creating again. I do hope that this will help to comfort one of my fellow DT members who lost her mother last week.
I stamped the birch tree trunks (an MFP stamp from the set Stinky Situation) in Versamark ink and applied SU chocolate chip chalk with a sponge applicator. The oval of "DP" under the main image was recycled from a Panera gift card holder I received earlier in the year. To make the messy pleated ribbon, I ran a line of adhesive from my tape runner down the length of the ribbon (on the back) and stuck it down, to itself and to the card underneath.
Here are the challenges I incorporated while making this card:
- Splitcoast sketch challenge SC298,
- The Paper Players Challenge #15, to use Old Olive, More Mustard, Cajun Craze, and Early Espresso,
- City Crafter Challenge Week 22, Tree of Books, to create a card/project that include the image of a tree/trees or a book/books,
- Delightful Challenges, Ribbon Recipe,
- Speedy the Cat's Friends Challenge #20, to use fall colors,
- A Spoonfull of Sugar Challenge 121, autumn color challenge,
- Tuesday Taggers, Diamonds are Forever. I scored a piece of textured card stock with a diamond pattern,
- Tuesday Throwdown #17, distressing. I used an emery board to sand my scored diamond pattern and to distress the edges of most of my panels and mats.
Stamps: MFP Stinky Situation, My Sentiments Exactly (MSE) Sympathy Sentiments
Paper: SU chocolate chip CS, Cosmo Cricket Pixie Dust CS, various scraps of CS, recycled Panera gift card holder
Ink: Versamark, Palette burnt umber
Accessories: CM oval cutting system, SU modern label punch, scoring tool, emery board (for distressing), Stampin' Pastels, sponge applicator, hairspray, dimensionals, wrinkled ribbon
Techniques: Poppin' Pastels, distressing
Edited 10/12/2010 to add:
Just discovered that I was named a City Crafter Challenge Blog Spotlight Artist for Week 22 for this sympathy card.