The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Juggling Too Much?

Recently I've been busy, crafty-wise, with design assignments. But once the kids were back in school again after their long weekend, I was finally able to turn my attention to a project I've had simmering on the back burner for a while now. Here's my result:


Does this feel like you, too? Well, except for the stylish pencil skirt and those high-heeled shoes, this card pretty much sums up my life these days. Juggling a million details that keep my family running smoothly without any major train wrecks.

This card was inspired by the Use 10 Embellishments Challenge in the Moxie Fab World, in honor of the release of the new Paper Crafts special issue, 75 Creative Card Challenges.
Yes, indeedy, you guessed it--the idea here is to use 10 different embellishments all on the same card in an innovative way. That last part had me stymied for a while. I mean any old fool (this one included!) can slap a bunch of googaws on a card and call it a day. But I wanted mine to mean something, to really tell a story, and not just look like some useless afterthoughts (which is what usually happens if I try to add more than one or two embellies)! Ten? I had my work cut out for me!

My very wise hubby is a big fan of consigning the solution of vexing problems to the subconscious. Can't see how to tackle something right away? Familiarize yourself with the problem and just walk away from it, sleep on it, do something completely different for a while. And that ol' subconscious just plugs away on it, chews it over, and pretty soon smacks you up side the head--completely out of the blue--with just the insight, answer, approach, or solution method that you need. That's just how it happened for me:  in the middle of brushing my teeth while thinking about something completely different.

I selected my embellishments very carefully, picking them for the kinds of tasks that we modern women must juggle.  I had to increase my card size to a mega 5" x 7" to get them to all fit comfortably! Anyway, starting with that ribbon rose on the bottom left, and then going clockwise, we have :

  1. The red ribbon rose symbolizes time spent bringing happiness, thoughtfulness, and our thankfulness to others in the form of gifts, cards, phone calls, emails, and favors.
  2. The paperclip symbolizes time spent at work.
  3. The baseball brad symbolizes time spent managing (and chauffeuring!) kid activities.
  4. The wooden clock face symbolizes time spent managing and planning the family calendar.
  5. The sparkly apple cabochon symbolizes time spent on planning, shopping, and preparing tasks that keep the family well-nourished.
  6. The mini wooden clothespin symbolizes time spent on housekeeping chores.
  7. The shiny star brad symbolizes time spent overseeing and helping with the kids' schoolwork.
  8. The Asian coin symbolizes time spent on all the myriad financial management tasks.
  9. The wooden Bingo number symbolizes time spent on family fun activities and "me" time.
  10. The shiny little key symbolizes time spent on home and auto maintenance.
Whew! I'm tired now just thinking of it all! But this little exercise has also been a great reminder of all the many blessings we enjoy. Life may be busy, but it's also quite good!

So, if you feel like you are juggling too much, too, I do believe I know how you feel. And hopefully knowing that will lift you up and make the juggling just a tiny bit easier to manage. :)

Thank you so much for joining me for a little slice of bliss today! It's always a joy to have you drop by!
Emily

50 comments:

Jessi Fogan said...

Emily, I cannot even tell you how awesome I think this is! That bitty graphic - and everything a mom juggles - and the stitching - and the fabulous banner? And the incredibly well-thought-out list of things represented? Absolutely incredible. I really really love it.
And your hubby? I subscribe to his school of thought. I try to get the kids to do the same - walking away from something for a bit makes such a difference sometimes!

Pam said...

What a perfect representation of the challenge!! So clever!! And yes, we all juggle what life throws at us, but that's life! It's fun to read the meanings for each embellishment too!!

~amy~ said...

How clever are you...awesome way to tackle the challenge....

Jingle said...

Emily, this is absolutely amazing! What a creative and unique design! It's fantastic!!!! Wow! I totally love it!

Stacy said...

This card is fantastic! I loved reading the significance of each embellishment and the layout and sentiment is perfection! Best of luck to you in this challenge, Emily!

Unknown said...

This looks absolutely fantastic! I love how you explained the meaning of each of your chosen embellishments. Although there is a lot going on with the embellishments the card flows beautifully and looks very cohesive. Not at all like "too much" which is a real challenge with this many embellishments. Very inspiring!

Lisa Elton said...

Love your light bulb moment here Emily, this is awesome! Cute chipboard art and fun stitching. The way you've broken down your embellishments for us is perfect!

Bonnie said...

Wow, Emily, I can sure identify with this card! I think most of us can. You're right. We are blessed to have families to keep us busy and something to do. We are especially blessed to be able to do all that we need to do. So many can't! Thanks for the reminder.

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

I need one of these cards, but the real reality would be a few things on the ground and piles in the background that are being ignored :)

Benzi said...

Oh my goodness, what a well thought out card. I'm glad you gave the reason you used each embellishment. I guess this card shows how much we women do, part of what we do, anyway.
I love this creative card, Emily.

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

Such a clever card, Em! Love it. :)

Sue Lelli said...

Truly AMAZING all the thought that went into this FABULOUS card! This is so Moxie FAB!

jen said...

Wow! This is how I feel, but I don't think I've got mine all juggled so stylishly! AMAZING take on the challenge!!!

Tracey McNeely said...

Emily this is stellar! I so get the juggling too many but you totally captured it with your 10 embellishments perfectly!

Annette Allen said...

wow this is so awesome..Love all those fun embellishments and really such a fun design...LOVE IT

Marisa said...

Love it!! What wonderful display of all the things in your life :) Well done!!

Karen B. said...

Holy cats, this card is just perfect! Love your explanations, love the detail, and yet it is still so clean and simple. Awesome!

Stacy Morgan said...

This is very clever, I like the meaning behind all the items. Most of those I feel the same with my house. ha! Great job.

Unknown said...

I am loving your card. What a great idea my friend. I always feel like I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off.. I think thats because I am not a great manager of time. But I must say I am loving life.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs~

Glenda J said...

This is brilliant! What a clever and creative idea. Love your explanations too. <3

Auntie Em said...

And every mom is sitting there looking at this and nodding their head in agreement at how you put everything on a card front (even if it is Mega Size).
Your card is amazing!!! You always manage to come up with a fresh and clever take on a challenge.
Great work Emily! :)

Maria said...

A very well thought creative card! I love it! It's a true treasure. One that certainly deserves to be framed! Great job!

Anonymous said...

A very creative idea I LOVE IT!!

Jinny Newlin said...

This is ever so fun and CREATIVE, Emily! LOVE all those elements that seem to keep us spinning ;). Just perfect!

Lisa Petrella said...

This is pure creative genius, girl!!! LOVE all of the elements you incorporated and how you shared the meaning of each in your post!!! And that layout is PERFECTION!

~Tammy~ said...

Ok you blew this challenge out of the water! The thought process and execution is amazing! Your explanations are so true and everything is perfect right down to the cute busy lady juggling! This was spot on for the Moxie Fab challenge! Awesome job!

Marlena M. said...

Emily, this is so creative! I love all the meaningful "googaws"...LOL, that you've added. ;)

Darnell said...

This HAS to be a winner, Emily! It is so well thought out, especially since it involved your hubby and your subconscious thought! Just incredible in every way, sweetie!! Mwah!

Mona Pendleton said...

What a fun card Emily! Love all the little trinkets!

MS said...

That has to be one of the most well-thought out and meaningful cards I've come across in a while. You nailed the challenge perfectly! I would be stuck at the throw the googaws (totally stealing that word) on the card and then just cringe. I love how each embellie represents something real in your family too. And yes, I'm tired just reading your list of responsibilities! Well done!

Colleen Dietrich said...

What a fabulous card AND post, Emily! I love all the thought you put into this (consciously AND sub!). It's really cool! Bet Cath likes it a bunch. :)

nwilliams6 said...

This is amazing - Emzi. I love it! This so symbolizes our crazy lives. I wonder what I could put on my clock - you should start a challenge where we all try to make a card and explain it like this! Very deep - your last few cards are super deep!

I agree with your husband's problem solving method. I have to tell you that one time it helped me think of an idea that was really great. I got a bonus on it at work and got invited to speak on it at two conferences - one in Chicago and one in Atlanta. Seems like a million years and lifetimes ago, but it happened. It has always worked for me.

Your card is wonderful Emily. Hugz!!!

Lea L. said...

This card is utterly amazing, Emily! I loved reading your list of why you chose each embellishment...although it made me a little tired! Ha! The design of this card is just fabulous, and the stitched circle just totally makes it for me. Amazing job on this card, girl. Love it!

Unknown said...

You are awesome Emily. That's all! :)

Carol Hurlock said...

How cute! The embellishments make for a fun card.
Bear hugs,
Carol

Kary said...

Oh my, this card is Awesome!! I absolutely LOVE it!! What a fantastic design and those little trinkets are so cute. Love the meaning of each of them, too. Thanks so much for sharing. Happy weekend!!

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Emily! Thanks for linking this up to the Use 10 Different Embellishments Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Woo hooo, congrats!!!!

katemade designs said...

Saw your card on Moxie Fab World blog and had to come see it on your blog and say this is one of the best cards I've seen in a long time. Pinned it.

Tracey McNeely said...

Congrats Emily on your win at MFW, I knew this was a winner the moment I saw it!

maria f. said...

"consigning the solution of vexing problems to the subconscious" - OK, hubby is Moxie Fab too!
Not much new to say about this amazing work of art except I hope it's hanging on a wall in your house!

Sheri said...

So very creative! I love it. This would be great as a scrapbook layout also.

My Paper Epiphany said...

Congrats on the win! Your card is brilliant - I love that the embellishments are not just random, but mean something - so clever!

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

This is just purely brilliant.

Lindsey said...

Hi, Emily -- I just had to pop over from MFW to say... this card is brilliant! I agree with everything Cath said. What an awesome card!

Gwen said...

Awesome creation,Emily! Congrats on your moxie fab win!

Kelly Griglione said...

You must be tired of hearing this, but I'm gonna say it anyway ... you totally nailed this challenge!! Such a treat to read about your card. Big congrats!

Lisa Petrella said...

WOOOOHOOOO!!! CONGRATS on your win over at the Moxie Fab World, Emily!!! Way to go, girl!!!

Greta said...

Came to see this post after reading your current one. Have to say I totally agree with Cath! Clever, great cards are not new to you, but wow--this time you went over the top & I'm so glad it was recognized! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post, Emily!

Smiles, Laurie said...

This is a wonderful card especially for all it symbolizes!Fabulous!