The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Friday, January 20, 2012

Three-ring binder for my daughter

Happy Friends With Flair Day!

Here's a fun project I made with a bunch of Unity stamps: a three-ring binder for my daughter to use for Social Studies class. In her middle school, students are required to have a 1-inch binder dedicated to each of their academic subjects. She likes to decorate her binders, so I thought I'd try to come up with something a little more sophisticated and grown-up. She LOVES it! (Now we may have to makeover ALL of her binders!)

Here are the Unity stamps I used:

Some other views:

I used another freebie world map from Doctors Without Borders (see yesterday's Masculine Valentine post for more on that), punching out interesting sections of the map to use in my design. The letters in "Social Studies" are alphas from Echo Park's Be Mine Hybrid kit.

My layout was inspired by the new CASE Study #74 inspiration from Jen Rzasa.

I love the modern shape to her inchies! Had to use them in this layout, which I really love because it combines vintage-looking elements in a design with a modern feel! Perfect for Social Studies, don't you think? I treated this essentially as a scrapbook page. When I was all done, my daughter slipped it in the clear outer window pocket of an Avery binder, and she was good to go.

I showed this to a dear friend of mine, who happens to have majored in geography in college. At first she was appalled that I'd "ripped" up a perfectly good map--and then she was pulled in by the bits of map that I used, saying that at least I'd gotten the "good" parts! Had to chuckle over that.

This will be another entry (my second) in The Map to Your Heart Challenge over at the Moxie Fab World, where the challenge is to incorporate maps with a papercrafted project in an innovative way.

Thanks for checking out my little slice of bliss for today!

Emily

39 comments:

onecraftymama said...

Congrats on your YCU win, sweetie! Well-deserved as always :)
This looks like a fun make-work project at least! No kidding she loves it, it's fun & funky - and I love the nod to the subject! Plus, I'm fairly certain yours will be the only project like this in the maps challenge. How much you rock, Emily...crazy ;)

Pam said...

I would have loved to have a binder like this when I was in school! It's just fabulous!!

Tenia Nelson said...

This is awesome!!!!

jackie 4124 said...

LOVE THIS!!! Wish my kids would let me do this to their binders

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

What a great project, Emily! Bet it was a hit!

Lisa said...

Looks like mom scored some points with this one! WOW so cute!!! I think you might get some requests from a few of her friends too ;)

Bonnie said...

I wish I'd had a notebook like this when I was in school! Great job!

Crystal said...

This is fantastic, I love how you used so many stamps and still gave it a CAS feel!

Marisa said...

What a fun idea! I can see others in her class wishing they had one like hers.

Glenda J said...

Wow! This is fantastic. Love it! Always love seeing more maps.

BloomingPink said...

This is beautiful. Now, if it inspires her to study...well, that'll be the big win, eh!

Kary said...

Hi Emily! This is such a cool file cover for your daughter!! It's so lovely and I love the map pieces. Awesome job!!

Benzi said...

Awesome! Your daughter will be the envy of her friends. They may want you to do this for them. Oops. You are rockin, Emily.

Linda said...

This is just very clever.

Ruby said...

Emily this is an awesome project. I can understand why your daughter loves it. She'll be wanting you to make more for her other studies. Great idea.

shuggy said...

this is awesome!!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Way to break out of the card box, you know this looks like you were inspired by CASE Study (hint hint challenge junkie).

Sarah said...

Love this! If I had any desire for a PhD I'd go back to school just to have a SUPER DUPER awesome binder! :)

Jingle said...

Wow! That turned out so cute! At the start of the year The Hubbums actually asked me for some cool stamps so he could stamp the paper bag cover of his history book...he teaches middle school history! LOL!

~Tammy~ said...

Wow, totally fantastic! I bet your daughter was over the moon with this!

Too funny about your friend...sort of the same feeling I get when I use pages from a vintage book, but then I love the effect!

Emily Leiphart said...

Oohhh, Emily, your daughter is super lucky to have you as her creative Mom! I never would've thought to create a page for a school binder like you here. I mean, I've seen journal covers, scrapbook albums, etc. but this is just out-of-the-box thinking. I absolutely love it!

Danie May said...

These binders are so much cooler than the brown paper and name stickers we used to cover our books with when we went to school. I love the map piece inchies, and I am sure you daughter loves this too!

Eva said...

This is really cool, I will show it to my daughter and suggest that we make some binders for her too.

Anne Tussing said...

Fabulous binder! I love the shape of your punch outs!

Ruza's Craft Corner said...

What a "cool" binder! No wonder your daughter loved it! I can see you redoing the other binders also! Great job! ;o)

Jocelyn Olson said...

What a super cool idea! I love the map elements and all of the Unity stamps...it's always cool to see parts of stamps. Now I'm wondering what you would do for the other subjects...

Colleen Dietrich said...

This is really pretty and classy. No wonder your daughter loves it and wants more like it!

Noelle Reese said...

Go rent a truckload of chairs! ALL the girls are on their way over to decorate their binders! LOL Morgan's friends come over and use the Cricut to make locker decorations. They work on them all night and it takes a day to clean up when they are done LOL I love that binder it is beautiful! I am going to decorate my shopping book just like that! Thank you for the great idea!

Linda R. said...

Very cool my great.. She has the coolest binder at school!!!

Karen L said...

Whoa...better not let my daughter see this!! Love it!

Auntie Em said...

I am SO impressed! Any teen that would actually put their mom's work into the FRONT of their binder, you know Mom is an ace paper crafter. Could a person ask for any better approval? Can't wait to see the rest of her binder covers. You can bet they wont be dumped at the end of the semester!
Love all the different designs on the squares! And I don't think your friend should be too upset with you recycling junk mail! :D

Carol (Gingerbeary8) said...

This is so cool. What a great way to spend some fun time with your daughter decorating her binder. Everyone at school is going to want to do the same thing. It's so sweet!

Teresa Kline said...

luv this, so cute!

enjoy *~*

Jen said...

Very cool!

Debby said...

I hope my husband doesn't find the map I cut in to for my take on the Moxie challenge! I love your take in combination with inspiration from Jen's card. Thanks for joining us at CASE study.

lisa arana said...

totally love this! what a fun way to decorate school books! so cool.

Cath said...

Hey Emily! Thanks again for linking up to the Map to Your Heart challenge in the Moxie Fab World! :)

Jean Martin said...

WOW! What a fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing it with us at CASE Study Challenge! :)

Lisa Petrella said...

This is AWESOME, Emily!!! And I think you better watch out....your daughter's classmates are going to be asking you to decorate their binders too!!!!