The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Color-Splashed Snowflakes

Happy Tuesday! We had a very busy weekend here while DH and I repainted our master bathroom. Why is it that everything always takes twice as long as you think it might? Our little project left no time for playing with paper and ink. And now we are in the midst of a 48-hour winter storm. Oh, yay, more snow. It looks like we could get another 10 to 20 inches out of this thing. Where, oh, where will we put it???

Well, when the going gets tough, the tough get stamping! I spent the morning trying to ignore the snow falling down outside at a rate of an inch per hour. But I couldn't keep all that white fluffy stuff completely out of my mind, so it inspired this card:
My bejeweled handmade snowflakes:

I tied some vintage lavender seam tape from my Gramma's sewing
basket around the card and into a bow.

A very dear friend of mine recently gave me the delightful Warm Winter Wishes stamp set from Flourishes. I was just thrilled! I'd had my eye on that set ever since it was released last November, and I just had to make her a thank-you card with my new stamps. Today was the perfect day to do it! The inside sentiment reads, "Thanks SNOW much!"

My idea for this card was shaped by the current color challenge from The Play Date Cafe, which is a color-splash challenge: to use black and white with a splash of lilac/purple (any shade). I'm also playing along with CASE Study Challenge #24. I've been following this challenge almost from its very beginning, but finally worked up the courage to play along for the first time. This is the card by Mercy Kerin that we were to CASE:
I'm playing along with these challenges, too:
Thanks for stopping by!
Emily

Card Recipe:
Stamps: Flourishes Warm Winter Wishes
Paper: MFP snowstorm CS, SU basic black, The Paper Company purple CS
Ink: Palette lavender sachet, black Marvy LePlume II marker
Accessories: SU 1" circle punch, EK 1.25" circle punch, SU scallop border punch, rhinestones and TE Tiny Twinkles, foam tape, sewing maching, vintage lavender seam tape from my Gramma's sewing basket
Techniques: machine stitching

35 comments:

wearestampers said...

This is a very pretty Thank You card Emily! The lavender and black are striking together!
Pam

Marisa said...

Fabulous double challenge card, Emily! Love the purple snowflakes all the three that are all blinged up :) You rocked both challenges! Hang in there with the snow.....ugh!!

Sue Lelli said...

LOVE the bejewled snowflakes! BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL card!

Dori said...

This is so pretty! The snowflakes are gorgeous and the layout and colors are fantastic!

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Very pretty card Emily! Love the bling on the snowflakes~ reminds me of ice crystals!

Tenia Nelson said...

Gorgeousness!!!

Jinny Newlin said...

LOVE those shimmery snowflakes and the way they wrap your sentiment! Such a great take on all challenges! Thank you so much for playing along with us, this week, in the Cafe!

Kristin said...

I wish the rain made me as productive as the snow makes you!

PapierGirl said...

Just lovely - love the CAS design and the pretty colors! Thanks for joining us this week at TSTR! :)

Benzi said...

I see you have snowflakes on your mind...don't know why. LOL They are beautiful with the gemstones and the wonderful sentiment..perfect background of little flakes, too.

Colleen Dietrich said...

Well, as always, GREAT job combining challenges, Miss Emily! And I wonder who could be the lucky recipient of this terrific card? ;) I'll tell you in advance how much I love it! I'm glad you found time (snow time) to play at the Cafe this week. Great splashes of purple!

Connie C said...

I love the rhinestones on the snowflakes! Stupendous card.

Linda R. said...

This is such a cute card.. Those snowflakes are perfect for what is being dumped on you.. I just love your attitude.. If that were me back there with all the snow, I would be crying like a baby!! Stay warm my friend..

Hugs, Linda

Dawn B. said...

What a great case.. This is a tricky layout. I love the purple, black and white. Can't believe this weather. Stay safe and warm.

Fiona said...

What a lovely card Emily, and love your touches of lilac! Thanks for playing along at the PDCC this week

Pam W. said...

Fab-U-lous! Love your layout.

One4Joy said...

oh, I had a great comment, Emily and then went to post and discovered one of my son's had signed in my computer!!! When I went to correct it, I lost my words!

I am amazed with how you worked all those challenges into this one lovely card! And what a sweet friend to give you something you really hoped for. I know she must have been thrilled with your thankful card.

snailzpace said...

a very pretty winter card! great take on the sketch - love the lilac ribbon and bow.

Sue Kohler said...

good to see you put the surrounding snow to good use, I love the colour combination, the snowflakes sprinkled on the background are gorgeous!! hope you are enjoying your newly painted bathroom!
Thanks for squeezing in the CASE study challenge this week! :)

Silke Ledlow said...

Emily this is just gorgeous! I like that you turned it into a holiday card...fabbo case my friend! Hugs ~S~

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

I absolutely LOVE the purple and black, Emily! This is one stunning card!
Can you believe that my kids actually have school today?!? I think we are the only school in the county that actually went!
Love my kids but doing a little happy dance! ;)

Jean Martin said...

Gorgeous card! I love all that bling! And the small snowflake background just makes things appear more shimmery! Thanks for playing with us at CASE Study! :)

Michele Gross said...

Soooo pretty! I love the bling on your snowflakes! Sorry about the real stuff falling outside, we've had very little snow, just ultra freezing double digit negatives. brrr! Stay warm, its excellent inky weather :) Thanks for splashing with us this week at The Play Date Cafe!

Debbie said...

So very pretty ... love the snowflakes! Thank you for sharing your card with us this week in the Tea Room :)

Crafty Math Chick said...

Lovely Emily!! Sorry you are getting so slammed with snow, wonderful inspiration for this beautiful card though.
~Meredith

*Vicki* said...

Emily, this is really adorable!! LOVE the purple colors tied into this!! Thanks for joining with us at Stamp Something!!HUGS

Pinkllilac said...

Gorgeous card Emily love the snowflakes and colours.
Thank you for joining us over at Papertake this week.
Hugs Linda

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

Beautiful! LOVE that trio--and that ribbon....LOVE! It's so elegant! Thanks for joining in the fun and playing along with us over at the PDCC!

Flutterby Trina said...

Love it! thanks for joining us at papertake weekly!

hugs

xx

Anita said...

Emily, this is a beautiful card. Your snowflakes are so pretty with the sparkly gems. The purple and black look so pretty together and the seam binding is just lovely.

suzARTe said...

This is such a GORGEOUS card Emily. Its just beautiful, the colours look amazing together. Its great to be back blogging

Bonnie said...

This is so pretty Emily! I love the sentiment. What a great set and a very good friend!

Skraptacular Designs said...

Thank you so much for participating in our "Whateva!" challenge this week at Stamptacular! Your submission is absolutely wonderful and so inspirational!

Also, in case you're interested, we're in the middle of a DT Call and would love for you to apply! You can find detailed information on what is required and how to apply on our Challenge Blog...http://stamptacularsundaychallenge.blogspot.com!

Thanks again for joining us this week at Stamptacular! I hope you'll join us again soon for some more challenge fun!

Hugs,
Priscilla

Pattie said...

Oh so pretty - I love purple and snowflakes! Thanks for joining us in the Tea Room and at Stamp Something!

Joanne (jojot) said...

one of my fav saying....love the longgggg card